As many of you know, I've been doing some new and very exciting things in the last few months. Joining a mastermind and mentorship program, creating new ways of doing things, designing my success system--all of it has been requiring me to stretch and change in ways that have, at times, been very uncomfortable and as a result, produced a lot of fear in me.
I had been thinking that I needed to do something to push through the fear and learn more about the core of that feeling. One thing I have learned from my spiritual teacher, Edwene Gaines, is that doing something that scares you quite a bit helps with doing things that REALLY scare you. So when my good friend and colleague, Anne Marie Sebastiani, proposed that I join her mastermind group for a day of trapezing, I said yes.
Well, I'm not sure what the heck I thought I was saying "yes" to. Maybe I thought we'd stand around and watch some courageous performers fly through the air, or learn some basics on the ground or whatever. I certainly did not think that it meant that I would be climbing up a very narrow and very tall ladder to a very small and even taller platform, get given some very basic instructions which in turn meant that I was to grab a very heavy bar, lean fully forward into space with some person I didn't know holding onto a belt that was squashing my middle, elegantly leap off the tiny platform and swing, hanging by my knees very very high into the air...
Not to mention the dropping into the far down net, back flips and catches we did later on. My palms still sweat as I type this AND though it was one of the most terrifying things I have ever done, the things I learned about myself that day and the confidence these insights gave me for dealing with any kind of fear, will stay with me for the rest of my life. And of course that I am bloody amazing for succeeding that day:)
Here is what I learned:
- Although there are many terrifying things we do not know how to do, we can do them anyway and survive (puberty, child birth, trapezing, business building...)
- To try something new, we have to step outside our comfort zone.
- To step outside our comfort zone we have to commit 100% and pay 100% attention (there is no "kind of" leaping off a platform).
- We have to live in faith, trust, love and happiness to commit.
- Every bit of failure moves us closer to success.
- Doing something that scares the bejesus out of us and we do it anyway and manage to have a good time is almost being super woman.
See you flying through the air!!!!